Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

So....I like to read.


    Ever since I was a little girl, I've loved to read. I love reading biographies, fiction, history, children's books, young adults, humorous, poems..etc.  I enjoy all different types genres.

    Currently I am reading a book called The Cider House Rules by John Irving.  It's a fairly long book, but so far I'm enjoying it. I am a VERY slow reader, it will take me some time - to finish this book.


     This book is about an Orphan at St. Cloud named, Homer Wells.  He falls under the teachings of St. Cloud's director, Dr. Larch. 

    I know it brings up a "taboo" subject...abortion and that why some have refuse to pick it up but I find it to be a very thought-provoking book and I hope to read more of John Irving's writings in the future.

~

     Two other books on my to-read list I want to finish this year....Yes! I have an actual to-read list, it's on my Goodreads account.
   If you don't have a Goodreads account, I recommend you do so. It's a great tool for finding new books and authors. They even have an app to check out what your friends are currently reading and reviewing.

 Link to my profile:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3917168-summer

     Anyways, as I was saying... there are two books I want to finish reading at the end of this year...

    First, is The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr., which was given to me to my friend that teaches at University level. I need this book because my grammar sucks. I can't write for shit.

     The other is ....Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. OK...this might be too high of a goal. It's pretty long book, 1168 pages, to be exact. I know this is a pretty popular books among supports of the libertarian ideology.  Maybe It seem it seems very out of character for me - to be interested in such a topic but I'm curious and I want to learn more.

     I've known about Ayn Rand and have wanted her read her book for quit some time now but I've been putting it off.  The 1168 pages is a turn off for me. I'll just have to keep in mind, no book is beneath or above me and go for it. So while I would like to start this book by this fall and be done in winter, I'd be content with being half way finished by the end of the year.


    I wouldn't shy away from different book recommendations on improving grammar and learn about Libertarianism and objectivism, so feel free to comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment